|Oasis for Animals is a no-kill shelter in Langley, WA.
On November 26 a fire broke-out at the shelter – all of the kitties were rescued from the building by one of the volunteers.
"Yesterday 3 of the kittens who were exposed to the toxic smoke in the fire were experiencing some breathing problems. Two of them were breathing more rapidly than normal and the other little one had heavy nasal discharge. Nikki, the little brown tabby, and Danny, the orange/white boy, had X-rays taken. Their lungs are still somewhat compromised, so we were given different oral medications for them. And we are also continuing the inhaled nebulizer treatments. Their prognosis is good, but they are being monitored closely since pneumonia is a possibility. Ellie, the blue/grey baby girl, was given two nasal flushes yesterday to clear out her nasal passages. She is also on oral medication as well as the inhaled nebulizer treatments. Ellie's breathing is better now, but she needs to be force-fed because she can't smell food very well yet and doesn't want to eat it. We took these pictures at the vet clinic. We were there for several hours, and the kitties decided to nap on the towel we put down on the floor. So they cuddled up, purred and did very well, as they each waited for their individual treatments. It was a very good day!"
"We are in shock, disbelief and so sad about the fire damage, loss of some precious kittens, as well as 14 kittens and 5 adult cats that suffered the effects of inhaling toxic smoke. All of the 19 kitties are receiving intense treatment to hopefully save all of them. We have an experienced vet who we are fortunate to have found immediately after the fire last night, on an emergency basis."
Donations can be made through PayPal
OR by mail:
Oasis for Animals
PO Box 1304
Langley, WA 98260